Staying Safe at USCB
The goal of the Department of Public Safety is to protect the USCB community and to reduce campus crime. The information and suggestions provided below are to enhance your personal safety. Help us by reporting emergencies, suspicious activity, and criminal behavior.
The Rave Guardian app helps Sand Sharks prevent dangerous situations by discreetly sending anonymous tips with a photo or location as needed; receive alerts based on your location, even when you don’t have a cell signal; set a virtual safety timer; access emergency procedures, schedules and other key documents in a custom content portal; easily find important USCB phone numbers for esources and directly connect to 9-1-1 or campus security in an emergency.
Crime on Campus
Please be aware that criminals seek out valuables left in vehicles or residence hall rooms. Every effort is being made to ensure that your safety and belongings are not compromised:
- Keep valuables out of sight
- Park close to buildings
- Lock Your Doors
- Use a buddy system
Residence Hall Safety
Your residence hall may very well be your home for the next few years. The faculty and staff at USC Beaufort would like you to have a positive experience. Have a mutual agreement with your suite mates that you will keep the outer door locked at all times.
- Check windows to make certain they are secure, especially on ground floor units.
- Have keys and cards ready as you approach your residence or vehicle.
- Keep your head up; look around as you walk; don't be distracted by your cell phone.
- Program the Public Safety Department's phone number (843-208-8911)Bluffton, (843-812-8186) Beaufort, and (843-208-4911) Hilton Head into your cell phone. Call for an escort.
- Notify Police if you have any concerns about your safety.
- Let roommates know where you are and what time you will be back.