Be an Orientation Leader, Student Ambassador or Resident Assistant
USCB has several paid opportunities for outstanding students to be leaders on campus. By working as a Orientation Leader, Student Ambassador or Resident Assistant, you will gain valuable job experience, enrich your own college memories and contribute to making USCB the best that it can be.
We are seeking 25 continuing students to serve as Orientation Leaders for Fall New Student Orientation. We are looking for a diverse student population to serve in this roll. Traditional, non-traditional, commuter, residential, and transfer students are all encouraged to apply. Fall New Student Orientation will be an inclusive experience for all students joining the Sand Shark Community during the fall 2021 semester, and we want our Orientation Leaders to represent all of their backgrounds and experiences.
- Must be a registered student during both the spring 2021 and fall 2021 terms
- Must be in good standing with the university
- Ability to show beyond-the-classroom involvement on-campus including but not limited to: student-organization membership, on-campus employment, participation in undergraduate research, attendance at campus activities, involvement in campus recreation, involvement with student athletics and honors program participation
- Desire to mentor new students and support their transition to USCB
- Recommendation of at least one faculty or staff member
- Please note that students may not serve as both a Resident Assistant and an Orientation Leader at the same time
Essential Job Duties
- Attend all in-person and virtual Orientation Leader Training during the summer of 2021. In-person training is currently set for August 11 -13
- Participate in all parts of Fall New Student Orientation held Sunday, August 15-Wednesday, August 18, 2021
- Mentor an Orientation Group of 25 students throughout Fall Orientation and beyond with the support of a USCB faculty or staff member
- Speak in front of small groups of students about various topics
- Lead discussions with new students to help them reflect on their learning
- Have at least one deliberate interaction/event with your Orientation each month during the fall 2021 semester
- Support Sand Shark Welcome Week functions as you are able after orientation ends
- There may also be opportunities to work virtually over the summer for those interested
- Orientations Leaders will be paid $9.00 an hour for all trainings, Orientation events, Sand Shark Welcome Week events and Orientation Group interactions
- Move In day for Orientation Leaders who live on campus will be Tuesday, August 10
- Food will be provided at all Orientation Trainings and events when the meal plan is not active. Orientation Leaders who commute will be provided on-campus meals after meal plan begins
Please complete the application at the link below no later than Friday, April 16.
Please ask the faculty or staff member recommending you for the position to complete the recommendation form at the link below.
Orientation Leader interviews will be held the week of April 19-23.
The Office of Admissions is looking for USCB students who are interested in sharing their college experiences with prospective students and their guests! If you love the University of South Carolina Beaufort and want to help welcome visitors to campus, please apply to join our team. The Student Ambassador position is a full academic year long (Fall 2021 – Spring 2022), with the opportunity to work in the Summer 2021 months (May, June, July and August). This is a paid position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a Student Ambassador for USCB and represent the USCB student body
- Guide campus tours for prospective students and their guests as well as large groups
- Assist with special events hosted by the Office of Admissions
- Provide a positive visit experience for all guests
- Help manage the Front Desk. Share information about the admissions process to prospective students. Help with office tasks as needed
- Attend all USCB Student Ambassador meetings and trainings
- Dress appropriately while in the office and during campus tours. A uniform will be provided and is required during all shifts
- Undergraduate student at the University of South Carolina Beaufort – must have completed at least one semester to apply
- Must be prepared and committed to be a Student Ambassador for both Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semesters
- Must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50
- Must be professional, responsible, hardworking, positive and outgoing
- Must have exceptional public-speaking and interpersonal skills
- Should have a history of student involvement in campus activities in high school and/or college
- Must have availability for Saturday admissions events (dates TBD)
Application Dates and Deadlines
- Application Opens: Monday, March 15. Apply using the application form here.
- Application Closes: Friday, April 9 at 5:00 pm.
- Please submit completed application with attachments listed on Page 2 to the Office of Admissions, located in 124 Hargray Building. Applications without all documents attached will not be accepted.
- Interviews for selected applicants: April 15-16 via Zoom
- Candidate will be notified about interviews via email on April 12
Questions? Contact Kristen VanNoord at 843-208-8133 or email@example.com
University of South Carolina Beaufort Resident Assistant Job Description and Requirements
A Resident Assistant (RA) is a well-rounded student staff member responsible for building a positive community by organizing creative social and educational activities, fostering a safe environment and establishing 1-on-1 relationships with residents. RAs promote student development by serving as a resource for academic support, housing policies and procedures and by encouraging involvement in the diverse campus community at USCB.
What's it like to be an RA?
Chania Farrison, USCB resident assistant, describes what she loves about her job.
Resident Assistants must be full-time USCB students for at least one semester and must have lived in the residence halls for at least one semester or have comparable community experience. Candidates must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50. Approved employment in addition to the RA job is limited to 15 hours on campus or 10 hours off campus. To apply to be a Residential Assistant, click here.